Monday, June 18, 2018

Fitness and attitude changes

I've lost fitness since this winter. Well, crap.

It's not exactly surprising. I've gone from riding four times a week down to riding maybe twice a week, on average. And I've been under a lot of stress that isn't exactly helping my body stay happy and supple.

I had finally cured the bounce in my canter on M, but in my last ride on her, it was back with a vengeance, though I warmed out of a lot of it. My right leg was doing it's weird weak/achy/numb thing again, that happens sometimes.

However, I was definitely experiencing some PMS so that might have contributed to some weakness/tension. So it's maybe not all loss of fitness. We'll see how things compare in the next few rides.

There have been some really good developments lately too, though!

For whatever reason, I'm a lot less nervous. Even from the first lesson back at the home barn, I'm feeling much more confident and secure. I'm not getting wigged out by the horse picking up a bit of speed at times. And most importantly, I'm not freaking out at spooks or potential spooks. I think the fact that a few spooks are happening now and then has actually been good for me, because it's shown me that, hey, they're not usually a big deal. And also that, hey, my seat is pretty good! My last ride on M, she spooked twice -- small spooks, but definitely spooks all the same. And my seat didn't budge, and they didn't wig me out. I just rode on normally.

I did adjust my plan somewhat, as it was late in the lesson and I was thinking of trying some canter on a loose(r) rein, or maybe some no-stirrups trot, but two spooks nearly in a row made me think... no, we'll just stick with more controlled stuff. Which I think was wisdom speaking, not fear.

It's definitely a relief, though, to not feel, every time, that SPOOKING = INSTANT DEATH.

So, that's a positive development!!

Also, my sitting trot on that same ride was REALLY good, even if my canter was bouncy and off. So that's great! I can get the canter back, I'm sure. The sitting trot has been a work in progress for a long time now, but I really started to focus on it this winter. I got a lot better with it before the move but it's continued to improve since, even though I haven't been able to ride as much.

So, that's pretty cool.

I can get the fitness back again. And it's nice that I'm gaining some things even if some things are backsliding a little. That's life, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment