Monday, February 26, 2018

Hmmm.

My saddle has been going crooked the last couple of rides. Hmmmm indeed.

I wonder if M's shape has changed lately? I don't think I've suddenly gone crooked, but... maybe I have? I thought changing to the thinner saddle pad might have been a factor, so I went back to the thicker pink one today, but because she's put a bit of weight and muscle on, I had to back it off a hole from where we were before, so whether or not that was a factor, I didn't really notice any difference.

Either she's doing something crooked or I am. 

As far as my riding goes, the only major difference is that I'm actually using my back correctly in the canter, and moving my body more. But maybe with that change, I'm leaning too much into one stirrup?

I might need to diagnose this the hard way. Do a complete ride with NO stirrups and see if things shift. :/ 

Orrrr just try to keep my right leg long and weighted.

Or have my coach hold the far stirrup when I mount.

Or do a ride that's all walk-trot and see if the canter is the cause.

I find once I notice it going even slightly crooked, it's like trying to compensate for it makes it worse instead of better, and it throws my whole ride off a little. It's not like it's sliding way off. It's more like half an inch, but I NOTICE these things. I have a lot more feel when I ride lately, which is great but there are times it can cause me to get hung up on stuff.

Today's canter work continued to show improvement. Since I started using my back better, we stay in canter a lot more easily, and I can use different parts of my body more independently to influence her. I don't feel like I'm having to hold everything together with EXTREME CONCENTRATION (and grimacing facial expressions). I can use one leg or the other, use my whip, adjust my reins, give a half halt, etc., and not have her fall on her face into trot.

I found a good compromise at canter between doing circle work and going large. Lately I've found I'm much happier and more relaxed cantering a 20m circle than I am on the rail. So today I did a full circle, then did a half circle turned the other half into using one whole end of the arena. Then went back on to my circle and used the other end. Then changed direction and did the whole thing the other way. I think this is going to be useful for getting comfortable cantering on the rail. I'm not entirely sure WHY cantering on the rail makes me more nervous than cantering a circle, but whatever. I don't need to overthink it if I can just do the work to fix it!

Sitting trot was decent today, although my shoulders wanted to roll forward, and I was having trouble engaging my lower abs to lift the front of my pelvis. So I was too much on my pubic bone and not back enough on my pockets. It's also the first real day of my period, though, and I was crampy and took some ibuprofen before my ride. So all things considered, I did pretty well. With concerted effort, I managed to NOT make faces the whole time.

I had a look at my leg position in the mirror today and was happy with what I saw. I'm definitely not in anything even resembling a chair seat. My heel is finally, after all these years, in line with the middle of my hip. Yaaaaaaay!! My toes are almost straight, which is as straight as they need to be as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to force them into an artificial and less effective "correct" look.

Over all things felt good. Our rein back is still crooked and lousy. Seems that the side I squeeze with is the side she pushes OUT, which is the opposite of what should happen. Urgh. I don't know how to correct for this when we're going backward and not forward. Backing the leg aid up with the whip doesn't seem right. I'll need to get some advice there!

I got a new pair of breeches today: a dark wine colour with a black "suede" full seat. They're the Tuscany brand that I like so much, and are the only type of breeches I think I ever want to ride in from now on! Comfy and grippy and attractive! Love 'em. These also came with a free pair of boot socks. These are yellow with a black and turquoise Aztec pattern and a picture of a donkey. Well, why not?? I've actually never ridden in boot socks before, so I'll give them a go.

Speaking of boots, I really need to break my tall boots out again. They're still pretty slick and my legs feel weird when I use them. I greased up the inside panel with some Oakwood, and need to add more now that it's all soaked in. That should help matters! I couldn't effective ask for canter last time I tried them, and my legs were shooting around during transitions. Not ideal. Will fix!!

No comments:

Post a Comment