Tuesday, February 27, 2018

There's your problem

I put my stirrups up one hole today and immediately discovered the reason my saddle has been shifting. I've been working with my stirrups so long lately that I haven't been using my right ankle much, and it's gotten stiff and weak. And I had no idea because I wasn't dropping into my right heel very much. Ughhhh. So, this is going to take a while to fix, but at least I've identified the problem. Note to self: change up your stirrup length sometimes.

I actually rode a bit BETTER with them shorter, I think, other than being initially a bit tippy while I adjusted to it.

Canter work felt really nice today. She started out doing her usual "things" but eventually got in this nice, soft, slow and rounded canter, and her transition from that to trot was smooth and not at all rushy or leany. It was lovely. Nicest canter I've felt on her in ages.

I did a lot of transitions today. Also cantered across the diagonal each way without dropping into trot, and got both flying changes, although it was tidier to the right than to the left -- which is normal with her.

Did some two-point at the walk to start torturing my weak ankle as much as possible without actually tearing something. Then did some no-stirrups trot work. The no-stirrups sitting trot felt GREAT. Wish it would feel that good WITH stirrups! Oh well. I'll keep working at it.

After chores, I stood outside and just hung out with the horses in the sunshine. It's sunny today and going up to +10 degrees! Wow!! Kazz was lying on the hay bale, sunning himself. Tobi the goat kept nibbling on my breeches.

No comments:

Post a Comment