Thursday, April 19, 2018

After my post on Tuesday, April 11, I had a lesson the next day, and then... my back spasmed a bunch and I didn't ride for nearly another week. But, it seems better now, so that's good!

My first lesson after my coach got back from her trip (the lesson on the 12th) was a bit rough for me as a couple things changed. I tried a different saddle, and that's often a bit of an adjustment once you've gotten used to a different one, especially something as specialized as a dressage saddle. Also, I think my back was starting to feel a bit strained by that day, although it wasn't doing anything specifically bad or anything. Also, turns out I'd kind of been letting the horse just... plod along. What felt like nice relaxed movement to me (which, granted, it was) was a bit too relaxed, so we spent the lesson getting me to try to make her MOVE more! So my thoughts of my first lesson being all "Oooooo look how GOOD I got while you were gone!" weren't quite on the money. ;) Of course, I'd much rather have a productive lesson anyhow, which this was, so I'm not actually complaining.

The next day, my back started going NOPE, so I did do the morning chores, but I didn't ride. By the next day it had been bad enough that I skipped doing the stalls, and definitely didn't ride. Then I had the weekend off chores, and decided not to ride then either.

Monday I MEANT to ride, but instead I couldn't get up the first hill into the driveway, as there was thick wet snow everywhere. I tried to back down it and wound up stuck off to one side of the driveway. Yay. I called the groundskeeper and he was able/willing to come out with a tow rope and pull me out. Phew!! I made a snowman while I waited. The car came out easily on the first try, so that was a relief! By the time I got up to the barn, I was over an hour later than I meant to be, and the horses were all WOUND. UP. So I got them fed and out and did everything BUT ride. No time and not worth it!! I was so happy to get out of there and home after all that, I don't think you could have PAID me to stay up there longer or head back up.

I had a nice ride on my own on Tuesday, back in the dressage saddle. Worked on something we had tried a couple of times in the previous lesson, which was to spiral in on a canter circle until she was very collected, and then ask for a walk transition. It went quite well. She's definitely MUCH stronger, and so am I!

She did a couple of dumb things with popping her head up and tugging the reins, so it was back in the bungee reins again for yesterday's lesson! She was NOT happy about it, but she did everything I asked for.

That lesson (which was yesterday) was the ego boosting praise-heavy lesson I had kind of hoped for, haha. I was really in a good groove and even though M was a bit stiff, and kept moving her head around to test the bungee reins, I was riding well and my coach was noticing and liking the changes. My seat looks great, my alignment is good, I'm MUCH stronger and no longer have a "weak side." I still need to work to turn my left shoulder more when I'm going that direction, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. She also said, "Every time I go to tell you to fix something today, you fix it yourself before I can say anything!" So my awareness and feel have gotten drastically better too.

Funny thing: when I rode alone on Tuesday, my canter to the left was smooth and I sat it well, but my canter to the right was stiff. In my lesson, I cantered to the left first and felt stiff, then when I cantered to the right I was about to say "See, I'm much better this direction" before I realized that I was on the "bad" side but riding it better than the "good" side!!

She was really happy with my progress and said now that I'm stronger and more even and able to isolate my aids, we can start doing more advanced work. Cool!!!!

She also said my sitting trot is "a lot better than most people's" and that my main problem now is that my hands want to come up and bounce around. I need to relax, keep that tailbone tucked, and also keep my hands low and wide.

More good things were said, about my riding and about the conditioning of the horse, who apparently is looking better than she has in the last few years. She even has a nice bit of muscle developing along her crest, which she's never had the entire time I've been riding her.

This morning I tried the other saddle again, except this time it had knee blocks in place, I didn't use the puffy pink half pad, and I put my stirrups up one hole from last time. And it actually felt great! I had no problems whatsoever in it, and my position felt really good. If my coach wants me to keep going in this one instead of using her personal saddle (totally understandable!!) I'm okay with that.

My canter was actually really good BOTH ways today! Wow! I felt really plugged in today, and I don't know if it was the saddle, but it didn't hurt at least. I counted her strides on each circle, between letters on the long side... Half of a large circle one way was 11 strides, and the other way it was 12. Consistently. Interesting. So, her stride on the right lead is longer than her stride on the left. Something to keep in mind to continue conditioning her as evenly as possible. Need to push her out more to the left.

A side benefit of counting the strides: it really helped my canter! My seat was deep and in tune, I was focused on an outcome so I was more inclined to keep her moving forward well and consistently. Definitely want to keep that up!

I'm going to try to ride again tomorrow either in the morning, or in the afternoon in a lesson. Will see how things go! Feeling really good this week, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment