Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride ride!

I'm feeling great about my riding lately. M and I are really clicking more than ever, and she's been absolutely wonderful these past two weeks. She's carrying herself better and has more energy and better responsiveness. I'm also carrying MYself better, and have better energy and responsiveness!

I've put in more concentrated riding in the last week and a half than I think I have... ever. I haven't ridden so much since Pony Club camp! Today is Tuesday. Other than Monday of last week, and this past Saturday, I've ridden every morning since (and including) Sunday, April 1. The rides have been anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes, but have mostly been in the 25 to 35 minute range. So, neither one of us gets worn out, but it's still lots of time to work on things and tone some muscles.

My body feels amazing. My back feels like it's been stretched out very tall and flat. My hips are unlocked and open. My hamstring strength has changed a lot too. I feel like a lot of angles in my body have really opened up in new and better ways. The "shoulders like a lady, hands like a queen, hips like a whore" description of riding posture is starting to really happen. I could still follow more with my lower back, but the kind of supportive softness necessary can only come from increased strength. So, it IS getting there, but I'm understanding now why it's been so difficult for me.

I also feel like I'm riding more quietly than ever, which, now that I'm stronger, translates to riding a lot more effectively. It's amazing how much strength and control it takes to just sit tall and really ride on top of the motion.

Yesterday I did some canter circles, and also did two and a half laps of it each direction! Woohoo! She did break a couple of times but nowhere near as much as she used to.

I've still been leaving off the bungee reins. Her cough has let up, but she's still rounding herself better and hasn't been pulling, so I'm in no hurry to put them back on if she's going so nicely on her own. I took her bridle home and completely stripped it, cleaned and conditioned it, and put it back together. When I did, I let the bit down one hole lower on each side. I've been wanting to try that, as I wondered if some of the tugging comes from her having it so high and feeling like she can't get away from the pressure. She also constantly wants to scratch at the corners of her mouth when the bridle is in. But I also didn't want to second guess my coach! Still, I thought it was worth experimenting with. I've had two rides so far with it lower. It's definitely high enough to be well clear of her teeth, so that's not a worry. She has played with it a bit both times I've put it on her, which she never normally does, but in a good way, not in a get-her-tongue-over-it way. She hasn't been in as big a hurry to scratch her mouth, either. She still does, but today it was like an afterthought instead of something urgent.

I did some no stirrups work yesterday and today towards the end of the ride. Yesterday's was okay, but today's felt great! I did both rising and sitting yesterday, but today I just did sitting. I did a couple of laps each way today, crossing the diagonal frequently. I was sitting good and deep and not bouncing much. I did lots of circles both ways, as they force me to turn my body and balance myself. To the left, I really have to turn my shoulder and torso to stay balanced. To the right, I almost have to lean my body into the turn, which is weird. Probably comes from my right side wanting to shorten up on me.

All in all, feeling much stronger and more sturdily upright, if that makes sense. I'm like a stone column up there -- but, you know, one that can bend when and where it counts.

Not that I want this to actually happen -- I certainly don't and it's not even possible anyhow -- but it would be so interesting to try to ride with my current new muscle memory and riding knowledge... with the body I had when I first started back at this. I think it would really demonstrate how much hard work and conditioning has been going into my riding. It'll be three years back at it, this June or July. So very different from where I began! Who knew.

One more note about today: the caretaker of the property came in to the ring right after I'd mounted, and we chatted a bit while I rode. I think the distraction actually helped because I rode pretty effortlessly and felt bold and in control. Maybe a little part of me likes an audience of someone who isn't a more accomplished rider? Does part of me like showing off, just a *little* bit? If so that's probably a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment